Marjal’s lemon cakeCourse: Recipes
When life gives you lemons… you make lemon cake!
Marjal got us totally addicted to this cake so when he made it we ate lemon cake almost every day for weeks. It’s impossible to resist and not to eat it in one sitting.
1 tbsp baking powder
200g powdered sugar
pinch of salt
- Heat the oven to 190°C.
- Grate the skin of all lemons and squeeze 3 of the lemons.
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks.
- Beat the egg whites together with the salt until you have a foamy consistency.
- Beat the butter until it is frothy. Then add the sugar and mix again until the consistency is even. Now add egg yolks litte by little while mixing. Beat the Mixture until it’s creamy. Add the lemon juice and skin.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder and sieve it into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Now fold the beaten egg whites carefully into the dough until just mixed. Don’t over mix. You want to keep as much of the air in the batter as possible.
- Grease the baking tray and pour the batter evenly into the tray.
- Bake for ca. 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Meanwhile squeeze the last lemon and mix it with the powdered sugar to make the syrup.
- When the cake is ready but still warm, take a fork and make small holes all over the top of the cake. Pour the syrup evenly over the cake to let it seep in. Let it cool down completely. For an even better taste, wait 1 day before serving it.