10g baking powder
2 tbsp cinnamon (for this pice and all spices mentioned below, add more or less according to how spicy you like your cake)
3 tbsp premixed gingerbread spice (see first step of directions on how to make it yourself)
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
pinch of salt
- If you don’t have gingerbread spice you can mix the following ground spices together: cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, anisseed, white pepper, korianderseed (just a little), ginger, cardamom. don’t worry if you don’ t have every spice.
- Mix all dry ingredients together including spices and salt.
- Add milk until the batter is just a little thicker than cake batter. When you let the batter run of your spoon it will break instead of running of in one go.
- Grease a baking tray and cover with flour so that the cake will not stick. Poor the batter into the baking tray and put in the oven. The oven is NOT preheated. Turn on the oven on 150°C and bake for ca. one hour. The cake is ready when you can put in a stick and it comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely and serve with a thick layer of butter or just as it is.
- You can experiment with this recipe by adding apple, pear or nuts and raisins.